Campsie School Board was the education authority for the parish of Campsie, between 1873 and 1919. The Education (Scotland) Act 1872 created school boards in Scotland with a statutory duty to provide education for all children between the ages of 5 and 13. The Boards had an elected membership made up of owners and occupiers of property of the value over £4 or over, and were responsible for the building and maintenance of schools, staffing and attendance of pupils. They were overseen by the central authority, the Scottish Board of Education. School boards were abolished by the Education (Scotland) Act 1918, and replaced by education authorities and school management committees.
Lennoxtown Primary School
In 1837, there was barely a school worthy of the name; the only one erected for the purpose was a small, old building in School Lane. There were also several private or adventure schools in rooms converted from disused weaving shops and dwelling houses.
The first really good school to be erected was the New subscription School. Besides it there was the Oswald, the Rowantreefaulds, and the St Machan's R.C. school (possibly the first St Machan's School).
Lennoxtown New Subscription School, was a two roomed school which was opened in 1838. As the population increased, the need for a larger school arose, and it was eventually replaced by the more modern and spacious seven roomed, Lennoxtown Public School in 1894.
The Public school was a Primary and Senior Secondary School which served Lennoxtown, Haughhead, Campsie Glen and Milton-of-Campsie. Pupils from Torrance also joined the Public School after finishing their primary education.
In 1955, its status changed to that of a Junior Secondary School, and Senior pupils had to travel to Kilsyth to continue their education. The status changed again to that of a Primary School in 1963, and it became known as Lennoxtown Primary School.
St Machan's School
The old St. Machan's School was built in 1857 on a plot of ground measuring 25 Poles and 3 yards, which was obtained in perpetual lease or feu. The annual duty for the plot was £2.10, and was paid to the owners of Glorat Estate. From Main Street to Bencloich Mile it measured 76 feet 6 inches, South by land originally forming part of Greenhead of Bencloich feued by George Peat, 84 feet, East by other lands of Greenhead of Bencloich, 75 feet, North by - do -99 feet. The school was built to house 90 pupils.
It was extended in 1873 to accommodate 207 pupils.
Further extensions were carried out in 1857, 1884 and 1926.
Lennoxtown Public and St. Machan's schools were both upgraded between 1928-29, and the re-opening for both schools on the same day was something of a Red-Letter Day in the village.
Dignitaries attended the ceremony at St. Machan's at 2pm, and when the festivities were over, the platform party made their way to the Public School, to attend their opening ceremony.
St Machan's School, which was in sited in Greenhead Road, was categorized as a Primary and Junior Secondary School until 1950. Senior pupils progressed to or St. Ninian's High School in Kirkintilloch, and others to St Modens in Kilsyth.
The new St Machan's School, built in magnificent surroundings in the High Park, was officially opened by the Most Rev. Gordon Joseph Gray DD, Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh on May 13th 1964.
1964 Present day
Back to: Points of Interest